Monday 28 July 2008

Ambitious Ambitions

Sup?

Well, I’m well past the 2c/5c level now, and I’ll probably never play there again. I moved up to the $25 level on Wednesday and I’ve been 9-tabling the 6-max PLO8 tables at this level ever since. It’s gone quite well overall and my game has come on a hell of a lot in that time.

But it didn’t start well.

In fact, it started terribly. I went $90 down within hundreds of hands and was probably lucky to break even over the first 6k. It wasn’t all bad beats, and I was certain that there was a leak or two in there somewhere, some nasty habit I’d brought with me from micro micro maybe, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

Now, I am quite proud of the fact that I have taught myself how to play this game and have twice built a bankroll of hundreds of dollars from tens of dollars playing the micro micro stakes of the game. But, after 6k hands of break even 10c/25c I had to concede that there were some things I was doing very wrong and, what’s more, I had no idea what they were.

So I finally got over my stubbornness and read some literature. I started with the 2+2 forums. It felt like cheating a bit to be honest but I’m a bit of a prick for not doing it sooner. I spent a good six hours reading every page of the O8 section of the forum and it has helped an unbelievable amount. There’s a lot of crap on there, as I’m sure there is on every forum (except maybe Dur Pok Soc) and some terrible advice, but what was good was unbelievably helpful.

I didn’t realise how shit (well, at least how unoptimally) I was playing before. Even some of the hands I have proudly posted in my previous posts are embarrassing to look over now tbh. But anyway, it worked for the micro micro levels but not for $25. But, now I think my game is okay for the $25 level and have finally been winning a bit of money. It does help that I’ve been running sick good recently as well.

I have played 17 hours in total for a $510 profit over 11.5k hands. This is about $30 ph at 8.9ptBBs/100. Obviously if I ignored the first 6k hands these figures would be sick at like $60 an hour or something. But those first 6k hands happened, were important, and so are included.

So having played over 10k hands at this level now I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of where I stand at the tables and what I think I can achieve.

I believe that with a lot of discipline and a lack of tilt, a win rate of 10ptBBs/100 is possible. This will be my main aim from now on. Playing 9 tables at a time I get through about 600 hands per hour and if I was to achieve my targeted win rate this will bring in $30 per hour. I have a lot of debt to pay off and I desperately want a holiday (I hear Malta’s pretty cheap…) so I want to put in enough hours to make $1k per week at 10c/25c.

Hence, ‘Ambitious Ambitions’! Impossible? We’ll see. Anyone for a prop bet to incentive me on?

$1k, at my target rate of 10ptBBs/100, will take 20k hands, which, at a rate of 600 hands ph, will take about 33 hours. I will continue to work for the agency (unless there is a bit of prop betting going on) as I think it’s important for me to have something to force me out of the house every once in a while and also something other than poker to pay my rent. But for the next few weeks, possibly months, I will be trying my best to fit in a big number of hours of Omaha around work.

If I get anywhere near 20k hands a week, winning at anywhere near my target rate, I’ll be earning well and paying off debt quickly:

I hope to pay off $500 a week in debt and keep the rest of what I make in the roll. I don’t intend to move up from these stakes until all of my debt is paid off so there is no pressure there. And anything I make over $500 in any week will probably eventually go towards a holiday.

That’s all for now, sorry nothing even mildly amusing to report at the moment. I’ll probably be posting my progress or lack of it in this blog. Peace.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2941703

2 comments:

  1. back to $1k finally

    i'm sure i will get varianced down again immediately but eh, thought i'd let u know just incase you are STILL yet to get to $1k ? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. nath, u alive?

    ReplyDelete