Sunday 1 June 2008

Setback

Real hungry and proper tired after a long and painful 1k+ hand session. Was forced to fold a lot of rivers early doors and could only break even over the first 500 hands. This sent me stumbling over the halfway mark of 5k hands showing a profit of only $85, $15 short of target. The next 500 hands were a bit better but I still couldn't bring myself back on target. I didn't run particularly well this session and feel I was lucky to show any kind of profit at the end of it.

Total hands played... 5521
Overall profit... $95.33
Win rate... 86 bb/100

Still about $15 short but I'm sure I can pull it back with a good run. Interestingly (well, vaguely...), I saw exactly 37% of flops again. I have played twelve spells of poker in this experiment and in two thirds of them I have seen 37 or 38% of flops. I guess this is the magic number at full ring 1c/2c plo h/l, though I wonder how drastically different the profit would be were I playing 3% looser/tighter... Perhaps 37% is the peak of EV pre flop at these tables. Fuck knows.

Anyway, I think I'm doing okay despite not once hitting my 100/100 target. I'll stick with it and try and find a way to squeeze out that extra little bit of EV. Most of my opponents' post flop play is so poor I'd probably choose to widen my pre flop range before I tightened it. That's something I'll think about and probably gradually introduce.

Some kind of Omaha pokertracker software would be unbelievably helpful here as well. There are still some preflop hands I have questions about but there is a danger that knowing the answers would make the game a bit too mechanical and dull and, dare I say, easy (at this level anyway).

To be fair, in these games, common sense post flop is infinitely more important than pre flop hand selection. I'd say that any player with a bit of brains about them could show a profit playing 100% of hands. (Hello, next experiment sorted!)

Dangerous Minds was the background media for this session. I watched it three and a half times and loved every minute. It failed to produce the results though so I guess it'll have to take a seat on the bench next to Elvis and Inertia Creeps for the time being.

Tomorrow we'll see how Season six of Frasier fares.

No comments:

Post a Comment