Monday 2 June 2008

I'm no better than them

Got to episode 5 of Frasier before cutting the first session of the day short after just 465 hands. Played terribly and got stacked for the first time in over 5000 hands... and then for the second time. And then the third. One of them was a bit of a cooler, flopped house vs flopped quads. Knew he had me on the turn but by then I had a cheeky low draw so was forced to call for my 57 low! Was live but missed.

Made a nice fold a bit later on though which cheered me up a little. I had 77JJ in the bb, flop AA7, I bet and found a reraiser. A7xx is unlikely but possible and something like A24Q gives him a monster to be fair, so out of position I just let him have it. He showed A237 the sicko! Obviously no one at the table could understand my fold, and even after an explaination some of them still couldn't see the obvious precariousnessness of sevens full with no low draw there. (35% expectation against A24Q for example.) Never thought check-folding a flopped house might be the right thing to do...

Got stacked again with A234 on a dream 442 flop vs A4QQ. Turn blank, river Q gave him the scoop but, anyway, enough of the bad beats...

Lost over $6 in those 465 hands which was another big blow:

Total hands... 5986
Overall profit... $89.27
WR... 75/100
Flops seen... 39%

Had some food, potatoes and peas (it's all I had in the house) which was horrible and tried to watch Vicar of Dibley on BBC one. It was shit so decided to get back to the Omaha. With Blades Of Glory on repeat in Media Player I started my longest session to date.

I played pretty poorly again, couldn't seem to make a fold.

[Everyone can and does bet the pot with the nut high in this game and so the winners come from the group of people who make the right folds. The most important example of this is being able to fold the nut low in multi-way pots when you're dead for the high. Similarly, drawing to the low with no high draw in multi-way pots is not good.

There aren't a great many crying calls going on to be honest, not on the river anyway (it's usually pretty easy to spot the nut high) but players lose a lot of money because of their inability to fold the bare low at any stage of the hand and especially for a big bet on the river.]

For the reason above I have found myself folding the nut low a hell of a lot, sometimes even check folding the nut low on a flop if my hand has no high prospects. Basically, if there's a chance I'm getting three-quartered I'll get out. (most of) My opponents at this level do not get away when I'm three-quartering them which is what makes me the winner!

Unfortunately, today I couldn't seem to get away. I got three-quartered a number of times when I really should have been out on the flop. It's stupid really because theoretically I only break even if I make exactly the same calls as the others. (I actually think I make better checks and bets than them as well so I'll still win, just not as much!)

Played 1845 hands and made a relatively small profit for such a ridiculously long session of poker.

Total hands... 7831
Overall profit... $100.63
WR... 64/100
Flops seen... 41%

$200 profit after 10k hands is very unlikely after that session, guess I'll do well to make $150 now but never mind, there's always the next 10k hands!!

Notice the 41% there. Loosening up my range only made for some very difficult decisions post flop. Got excited by flopping some nut straights on lowwy and flushy flops which are just not that good. Will go back to playing as I was but hopefully, this time, with the addition of the 'fold' button.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment