Monday 6 July 2009

Grass and fields and that.

“Is factor 50 sun block good or bad?”
“I’m pretty sure that’s the highest they do, mate, you’re not getting tanned with that shit.”

Well, I wish some fucker had told me this before I went out and bought two litres of the stuff. I’m going to end the day whiter than I started it walking around wearing this greasy layer of concrete all day.

So, I’m in the lovely Midland countryside this week, looking after my Dad’s house in Evesham while he’s away. Okay, it’s no Portugal, but I’m looking forward to having a nice house to myself for a week or so. And, provided the sun stays out (and I buy some sensibly factored sun block), the spaciousish (try saying that word out loud) garden should provide the perfect place for me to top up my tan. (Though by ‘top up my tan’ this reclusive grinder, of course, means ‘start a tan from scratch’).

This week has turned out to be great timing for me to get away because I’ve put myself in the nice position of not feeling under any pressure to play cards. A few of you know already that I had a nice run in the weekly Supernova $75k freeroll on Saturday night, scoring my biggest ever tournament win of $5,437.50 for a 4th place finish.

I was an ‘orrendous nit literally all the way through the tourn because that’s the only way I know how to play hold em nowadays but it did the trick. I was lucky enough to get it in good AND HOLD in almost all of my all ins.

It was an outdraw that got me going:
http://www.pokerhand.org/?4437421

But after that, I'm no expert, but it seemed like a fairly standard run to the final table:
http://www.pokerhand.org/?4437433
http://www.pokerhand.org/?4437475
http://www.pokerhand.org/?4437517
http://www.pokerhand.org/?4437551
http://www.pokerhand.org/?4437625

where everyone was guaranteed $1k.

This massive hold early on at the ft:
http://www.pokerhand.org/?4437756

sent me on my way to four handed second in chips. But then this flop, sadly, spelt the end of my tournament:
http://www.pokerhand.org/?4437857

Obv.

I’ve played four of those tournaments since I was gifted Supernova status, and had two top 40 finishes. Easy game! So, with 52 of them a year (on top of the 12 $100k freerolls), I should be able to add a few hundred thousand $$ a year to what I grind out at cash.

A couple of people have asked me whether I’ll be moving up in stakes with this win, but the answer is no.

Firstly, I need most of that money offline for now so I’ve cashed out over $5k of it, leaving myself a comfortable $1k bankroll to continue playing $25 O8, completely worry-free.

And, secondly, I don’t actually want to move up yet. I’m still learning things about O8, and getting better, and learning more and earning quicker with every month I play. Until I feel completely happy that I know everything about every situation Vs every type of player, I’d rather carry on playing low stakes. See you at $2/$4 in the year 2147, folks.

I’m currently running at over 12ptBB/100 at 10c/25c, with over $700 coming in per month from Supernova bonuses. So, Dstar and Jeesus and co, you'll be happy to hear that I'll be sticking around until I’m winning at at least 20ptbbs!

I hate to be the kind of blogger that only posts a serious post when he’s running well… but that’s the way it is, I guess. Sorry.

Well, I’d better get going, I’ve got to go and look for the nearest shop that sells factor 0.0000005 sun block. And, by the look of the endless sea of grass surrounding me for miles in every direction, I could easily be traipsing around in the sun for days.

Luckily, I’ve got three or four pints of factor 50 to keep me safe.

See you later.

2 comments:

  1. ha, congrats pg.

    - iiimjeeesus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the nice score and good idea not moving up just because you have the roll to do so.

    I think loads of players make that mistake then lose a big chunk but get used to playing for big pots that they can't grind the lowers stakes to win their losses back.

    ReplyDelete